New Conference Journal Committee Team Members:
Nancy Johnston Varden
The New Conference Journal Committee met on February 5, 2020, prior to the COVID-10 pandemic. Next steps from that meeting are below. NOTE: with the delay of the start of the Tennessee-Western Kentucky Conference, dates listed below need to modified by adding a year to each.
- Approval and funding are needed for a smaller journal to be produced after the fall 2020 organizational conference.
- Titles (Rev., Rev. Dr., etc.) will be dropped from 2020 and future journals unless it’s part of a submitted report or memoir or it’s a reference to the bishop.
- Jim Allen contacted the SEJ secretary to ask if SEJ has any rules concerning annual conference journals (paragraph 527 in Book of Discipline).
- Nomination and funding are needed for the 2021 journal editor.
- Where does the 2021 journal fit in the new conference structure?
- Once a 2021 journal editor is named, a team will be formed to discuss processes, gathering information, and reviewing drafts. It may include members of the Journal Committee.
- Both 2020 Tennessee and Memphis conference journals and the 2021 Tennessee-Western Kentucky Conference journal will be printed in limited quantities for conference staff and leadership. They will also be available online as downloadable PDF files. Individuals can buy print-on-demand copies from Cokesbury. Future issues may be online with very limited print copies for key conference staff.
- For the 2021 journal, consider creating two volumes. The first contains statistical tables and the financial audit; the second contains everything else: conference officers/leadership, boards/commissions/committees, daily proceedings, BAC, reports/resolutions, memoirs, historical records, service records for clergy, etc.
Submitted May 12, 2020