Job Title: Conference Treasurer/Director of Administrative Services
Reports to: Council on Finance and Administration
Summary of the position: The Conference Treasurer/Director of Administrative Services serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the annual conference. As such and in compliance with paragraph 619 of the 2016 Book of Discipline, the Treasurer/Director is responsible to the Council on Finance and Administration for management and accounting of conference funds, pension, and benefit plans, central treasury operations, property and casualty insurance program, and the maintenance of conference buildings and other physical properties and equipment.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Support for the vision, mission, and core values of the Tennessee-Western Kentucky Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- Familiarity with United Methodist polity and Discipline.
- Ability to interpret church and civil law to conference staff and local church clergy and leaders, including personnel, tax, and employment law.
- Able to design and implement internal control systems.
- Proficient in the use of appropriate computer software and hardware. Familiarity with standard accounting packages/financial software.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with the ability to interpret and synthesize financial data to drive strategic decision-making.
- Experience in non-profit accounting and/or church business administration.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as a team member and to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in fiscal planning, projecting, budgeting, and financial interpretation.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
College degree required with a minimum of 8 years of experience in accounting and/or business/church management. MBA or related degree preferred.
- Represent the Conference to the local churches as a resource person on financial, administrative, and property matters as requested and needed.
- Relate to the Bishop and the district superintendents in all financial administrative and property matters.
- Relate to conference clergy in matters related to clergy compensation issues and financial management as requested and needed.
- Represent the Conference to other UMC related agencies and constituencies across the Connection in matters of financial, administrative, and property management.
- Be available to lead and speak at Conference and district events. If clergy, be available to preach in local churches as invited and schedule permits.
- Conduct workshops for local church treasurers/finance committees and other training as deemed necessary.
- Oversee and supervise Conference administrative staff.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary range: $120,000-$145,000/annual salary, depending on experience
Eligibility for medical/dental/vision and 403(b) retirement savings plan, as well as vacation time and paid holidays.
This position is required by The Book of Discipline. This position is required to pass a background check and reference process.
Because of the Conference’s non-profit status, its employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits under state law.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. The person in this position occasionally needs to move about inside the office to access filing cabinets, office machinery, etc. He/she may constantly operate a computer and other productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer. The person in this position frequently communicates with the public and other co-workers on questions about benefits, policies, or other business questions. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. Employee must occasionally lift or move office supplies or other items weighing up to 25 pounds. Some overnight travel outside of the conference for denominational events and within the conference for events and meetings will be required.
Contact Information and Procedure:
Qualified applicants, please send letter of interest and resume to: email@example.com and specify that you are applying for the Treasurer/Director of Administration position. Deadline for submission February 26, 2024. Job is contingent on successful completion of references and background check.