POSITION Contemporary Worship Leader
REPORTS TO Executive Director
MEMBER OF Loving God Team
DATE PREPARED January 11, 2023
The contemporary worship leader responsibilities include designing and implementing uplifting and inspirational experiences for the worship of God in a contemporary setting. The Contemporary Worship Leader provides coordination, direction and resourcing for contemporary worship including sound operations, video, and slide projections.
The specific duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Worship Leadership
- In consultation with Pastor(s), plan, coordinate, and execute contemporary worship services. Also, provide similar support for special worship services of the church. Demonstrates excellence in leading worship.
- Lead worship team including recruitment, development, rehearsal direction, and scheduling for volunteers. Develop musicians, worship leaders, and song leaders. Communicate and lead the worship team effectively.
- Maintain (cataloging and filing) the contemporary worship library
- Provides worship support, leadership, and direction for other areas of the church as needed (e.g., VBS, Mission trips, Child Care Center).
- Responsible for worship presentation and audio-visual elements for worship services (e.g., slideshows, lighting).
- Provide leadership and direction for supporting volunteers and teams serving contemporary worship. This includes recruitment, training and supporting volunteers in carrying out these roles.(E.g. may include but not be limited to: worship team, operators for pro-presenter, streaming, cameras, lighting, communion servers, greeters, altar guild, etc.)
- Provide pastoral leadership by shepherding, training and caring for the worship volunteers and teams.
- Oversee the support and set up needs for facilities, rooms, stage and equipment utilized for contemporary worship. Coordinating and assisting with the set-up of the stage for worship and rehearsals and tear down and clean up of these same areas pre- and post- worship.
- Lead weekly and monthly planning team meeting in collaboration with primary preacher for contemporary worship.
- Media & Audio-Visual Production
- Responsible for producing church videos supporting worship
- Oversee the inventory, repair, maintenance, replacement, and improvement of A/V equipment supporting contemporary worship. When possible, provide assistance, guidance and collaboration for similar A/V at needs more broadly at the church.
- Coordinate and serve as primary contact with suppliers and service providers to A/V equipment utilized by contemporary worship.
- Facilitate, train and enable volunteers who serve, support, and use A/V equipment supporting contemporary worship.
- Staff Team Member
- Fulfill obligations to be cooperative with broader church staff and activities (e.g., staff meetings, area meetings, church events).
- Responsible for and supports any necessary communication efforts to staff, congregation, and others as it relates to job functions.
Lead Pastor, Executive Director, Associate Pastors, Traditional Worship Leader, Worship Design Team, Loving God Team, Contemporary Worship Design Team, Communications Director, and Church Ministries Council.
- Possess an individual faith/relationship with Jesus Christ and a desire to live out your faith in Christian community.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Have strong and varied music background with a strong emphasis in Contemporary music
- Be a team player with a willingness to be flexible and cooperative.
- Have experience with supporting software programs (e.g., Planning Center, ProPresenter)
- Possess training and skills in audio-visual technologies.
- Have a creative sense of worship and an understanding of how music and the arts fit into the overall effect of worship.
- Be familiar with all styles of sacred music.
- Ability and willingness to delegate, support and supervise others in contemporary worship leadership, and share leadership in the total ministry of the church with fellow staff members and lay leadership of the church.
- Administrative skills
- Knowledge of, willingness to learn and support for United Methodist Church and its doctrine.
Statement of Faith
I understand that working in a church requires a commitment of servant leadership and such a commitment is most fully realized through a faith in God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) made possible through a relationship through Jesus Christ. I realize that it is imperative that, as a staff member at FBSUMC, my words and actions must represent this church and reflect my faith in Jesus Christ, so that in every way our church might move toward “making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”
APPROVED BY CLC: TBD
I hereby verify that I have received a verbal or written description of the job for which I am being employed, and I have been given the opportunity to ask questions about the essential functions of the position. I further verify that I am able to perform the essential functions of the job described, with or without reasonable accommodations, and certify that I have requested any reasonable accommodations that may be required at this time. I further certify that I acknowledge my responsibilities to request accommodations should they become necessary in the future, whether through change in my circumstances or through a change in the requirements of any position or task to which I am assigned. Finally, I agree to follow all of the Administrative Policies and Procedures of the church as created and maintained by the Church Leadership Council.
Print Name: ____________________________