FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF DYERSBURG
Job Title: Director of Music and Worship Arts
Reports to: Senior Minister
Classification: Part Time/Full Time Open for discussion
Summary of the position:
Qualifications and Skills:
• Team mindset: Ability to be a team player and work collaboratively; has a commitment to build covenant with the FUMC members, pastor, and staff.
• Interpersonal Skills: Capacity to work collegially and develop rapport with a wide variety of individuals and leaders.
• Helping/Customer Service Orientation: Demonstrate concern for, attend to the needs of, and provide resources for the work of the various musical ensembles. Participate in a culture of hospitality and consistency for all processes associated with worship planning, rehearsing, and providing support to staff, lay leadership, and clergy leadership.
• Mission Mindset: Committed to the mission and ministry of First United Methodist Church of Dyersburg.
• Communication Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication. Able to speak in a public forum. Able to recruit and lead musicians of all ages and abilities.
• Organizational Skills: High ability to prioritize tasks and processes. Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple tasks and projects
• Time Management Skills: Effective and efficient use of time, talent, and resources.
• Computer Savvy: Proficient in the use of multiple operating systems, databases, and software used for streaming, video editing, and ProPresenter.
• Dependability: Able to meet deadlines and be reliable.
• Maintain confidences: Commitment to complete confidentiality and high degree of integrity.
• Faith: Evidence of intentional discipleship and faith in Jesus Christ.
• Church polity: Knowledge of General, Jurisdictional, and Annual Conference United Methodist Church polity.
• Degree in, or long-term experience in, a music-related field.
• Experience in choral conducting, choral instruction, playing various keyboard instruments, and worship planning
• Experience with technical components of worship—sound boards, streaming, video editing, ProPresenter, etc.
• Comfort with both traditional hymnody and contemporary worship music
• Work in partnership with the Senior Pastor to create weekly worship experiences that edify, encourage, and compel worshipers to grow more deeply in their Christian discipleship.
• Create opportunities for worshipers of all ages and abilities to express themselves musically. This includes but is not limited to the opportunity to sing hymns and worship songs as part of the congregation in worship services, and to assist in worship leadership as a member of the Parish Choir, handbell choir, as an instrumentalist or a participant in a chamber-sized musical group.
• Provide instruction and leadership to Parish Choir, handbell choir, children’s choirs, and other musical groups.
• Work in partnership with the Senior Pastor to create worship opportunities for special services including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day (as needed), Holy Week, Easter, Plum Pudding Festival, and others as they are determined to be appropriate for congregational life.
• Assist with and create Music and Worship Arts opportunities throughout the life of the congregation, including with older adults, youth, and children.
• Direct the work of the Altar Guild, the Worship Team, and other musical teams.
• Participate in ongoing professional development and integrate emerging new learning tools and processes.
• Be financially accountable for the ministries for which you are responsible in collaboration with Senior minister.
• Support the goals of the church.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. The person in this position needs to frequently move about inside the church. Minimal travel.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com