FORMAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Ripley First United Methodist Church, Ripley, TN 38063
JOB TITLE FINANCIAL SECRETARY
Position reports to:
Full-Time (Monday – Friday)
The Financial Secretary is responsible to the senior pastor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. As requested, work with all church committees to produce reports, meeting reminders, etc.
2. Prepare reports for special meetings and church conferences as needed;
3. Record attendance to maintain records, write reports, etc. (using Elexio Community ChMS and
4. Maintain an open and inviting church office;
5. Record weekly worship counts and individual attendance;
6. Record small group attendance and mission participation;
7. Effectively communicate with staff, congregation, and service technicians to conduct the business of
8. Sends reminders to committee members, volunteers, and staff as needed;
9. Keeps an open inventory of the keys and cards of the church through Excel;
10. Compiles the annual Leadership Manual, which includes the yearly church calendar;
11. Works with Administrative Assistant in taking reservations for church events/meal and meetings;
12. Attends weekly staff meetings/monthly luncheons and takes notes;
13. Creates/sends flyers, posters, and cards out as needed for special events;
14. Checks office phone messages upon arrival in the office daily and responds as needed;
15. Communicates with Admin. Assistant through Excel to ensure memorials are current;
16. Count money with volunteers and make deposit in the bank every Monday morning.
17. Enter financial information into Elexio Financials management software system;
18. Monitor online giving from Vanco;
19. Pay bills on time, while keeping track of receipts and funds assigned;
20. Makes sure all employees are paid according to their schedule;
21. Send monthly financial reports to Financial Committee each month;
22. Record personal giving in Elexio Community and send quarterly contribution statements;
23. Prepare and maintain W2 information annually;
24. Prepare and send in quarterly payroll taxes and 941 tax documents;
25. Seek out additional training and resources which will directly improve the ability to enhance the
effectiveness of the administration;
26. Carry out additional tasks as reasonably assigned by the pastor;
27. Clean out filing cabinets at the end or beginning of the year to make room for upcoming information;
28. Lock and unlock the offices as needed daily;
29. Monitor bank account and keep bill pay and auto-draft updated and current;
30. Maintain Elexio General Ledger to reflect accurate accounting of financial information
1. Maintain confidentiality in all matters;
2. Present and communicate in a professional way;
3. Attend education events and training as directed;
4. Other duties as assigned by the senior pastor.
1. Highly motivated with strong organizational skills; able to coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously;
2. Self-starter; able to work independently;
3. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, experienced in working with multidisciplinary
4. Prior bookkeeping experience;
5. General knowledge of debits and credits;
6. General secretarial skills;
7. Knowledge and experience with computers, including (but not limited to): word processing,
databases, and internet access;
8. Experience working in a professional office setting;
9. Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and
10. Able to operate personal computer, laptop, peripheral computer equipment, photocopier, fax
machine, and other office equipment with a high degree of skill;
11. Strong telephone and interpersonal communication skills;
12. Must submit to a criminal background check and be subject to scrutiny based on the results.
Strong problem solving and record keeping skills; communicates, comprehends, and reads written materials;
reasons and makes judgements.
1. Adaptability, flexibility, reliability, and punctuality;
2. A liking for working with church members, personnel, and the community;
3. A respect for confidentiality and the right and the needs of all individuals;
4. Ability to accept authority and to abide by rules and regulations;
5. A cooperative spirit; and
6. Ability to organize and plan activities with a reasonable degree of independence.
EQUIPMENT AND MATERIALS:
Is knowledgeable of and can operate computers and computer programs, iPads, LCD projectors, copiers, fax
machines, and video recorders.
Normal office working environment, with occasional disruptions in regards to people coming in and out.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the Financial Secretary position and
level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an allinclusive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.