How to apply and benefits:
**This position location is Brentwood, TN.
**How to apply: Send resume to email@example.com or visit our webpage at www.bumc.net/employment to fill out an online application.
Benefits: access to medical, dental, vision, Paid-time off, and 403b.
Category: Regular, Full-time position
Reports to: Director of Missions & Outreach
Manage all phases of missional opportunities and events to meet the goals and objectives as defined by the department director and L3 team. Provide day-to-day oversight of member & community partner relationships, project/event processes & timelines, budget estimates in cooperation with staff and lay leaders providing serving opportunities for people to grow as disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Champion and execute mission & outreach programs, events, and initiatives utilizing a Ministry Action Plan (MAP) or another project plan as directed by the department director and/or L3 Team for the following ministries
o South Africa Outreach – support sponsorship programs, site visits, and annual fundraising event
o Race & Faith Initiatives – support team as they establish effective ministry strategies and partner with other local churches for events
o Room in the Inn – provide recruitment, scheduling, and program oversight
o Support missional collections (monetary & item donations) in coordination with Communications team, other staff, volunteers, and agencies as requested
o Disaster Relief response – includes fund management/disbursement, collecting relief supplies, and disbursing to those in need
• Support the work of the department and empower the department’s Ministry Action Teams related to their initiatives, events, trips, and studies
• Collaborate with BUMC Strategic Missional Partners (Harvest Hands, Healing housing, and South Africa Outreach) on projects and initiatives maintaining positive relationships with each group
• Recruit, communicate, and connect members to ministries with an emphasis in increasing participation across all demographics
• Communicate ministry plans across departments as they emerge for calendaring, coordination, and resourcing
Administrative & Finance Responsibilities
• Work with all BUMC departments (e.g., Finance, Facilities, Communications, etc.) as required to ensure proper processes, guidelines and procedures are being followed by you, laity, and partners to include, but not limited to, fundraising approvals and purchases and statement reconciliation
• Track revenue and expenses throughout events/program lifecycles providing documentation to administrative staff ensuring that expenses do not exceed allocated budget.
• Oversee department purchase order processes, credit card payments, and interpret/maintain mission & outreach budget records, including reconciling month end and year-to-date ledgers
• Provide support to assigned ministry areas and events to include, but not limited to:
o Timely and accurate communication of assigned events and services
o Work with Communications team for timely completion of projects and develop content for newsletters
o Ensure accurate database information in Ministry Platform and other software for assigned areas
o Partner with department coordinator to manage participant registrations for assigned ministries
• Facilitate background checks for department volunteers as needed
• Attend staff meetings, one-on-one meetings, and departmental meetings
• Passionate about participating in God’s work in the world and able to articulate the connection between the Kingdom of God and the work of missions
• High level of competency in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Asana, Evernote, Canva, and MailChimp with ability to learn other computer programs quickly and use them proficiently (e.g., Ministry Platform church management system, eSpace for event scheduling and registration)
• Understanding of finance and budgeting processes
• Deeply rooted in Christ and growing spiritually through personal habits and disciplines
• Effective written and verbal communication skills with ability to communicate with persons of all levels of maturity and status
• Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time
• Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks with a positive attitude
• Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
• Strong relational skills and the ability to handle sensitive/crisis situations with compassion
• Self-starter who takes initiative and anticipates needs of the department
• Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree required. Emphasis in religion, non-profit management, or another related field preferred
• Three (3) to five (5) years of related ministry/mission experience preferred
• One (1) to two (2) years of experience in a medium to large church setting with ability to navigate dynamics of a large organizational church structure
• Experience recruiting, training, and empowering volunteers
This position does not have direct supervisory responsibility; however, it does supervise volunteers for assigned projects. This position is also responsible for managing day-to-day department workflow and delegating tasks and assignments to department coordinator and volunteers as needed.
This position operates in an office setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions. The position routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be mostly in an office environment, but also work in classroom, conference, and event situations. Position is required to see, talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Employee must be able to stand for long periods of time providing hospitality and coordination of ministry events. Employee must occasionally lift or move supplies or other items up to 25 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work are Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week. Wednesday evening, other evenings, and weekend hours required for programming implementation and support.
Travel is occasionally required for in-town meetings, conference, or events. International and/or overnight travel may be required.